UM-Flint Campus Flasher Turns Self In

Madeline Ciak

Charles Junior Brown surrendered himself to the UM-Flint Department of Public Safety in the YMCA parking lot at 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 13 following two indecent exposure incidents that took place on campus.

Brown is alleged to have fondled himself in the presence of two female students on campus. The first incident took place near the restrooms on the first floor of the Harding Mott University Center around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 6. The second incident took place near the Frances Willson Thompson Library around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 8.

According to UM-Flint Director of Public Safety Ray Hall, Brown’s family encouraged him to surrender himself to the UM-Flint Department of Public Safety.

“Surrenders seldom go smoothly, but the fact that this case did is refreshing,” said Hall.

According to Hall, Brown is an absconded Tier III sex offender, classified as violent from Tennessee. He was charged with third degree criminal sexual conduct in September 1993.

Tier III is the most serious classification of sex offenders, and requires an offender to be registered on the Sexual Offender Registry for the rest of the offender’s life and verification of personal information on a three-month basis. Brown now faces charges of indecent exposure and failure to register as a sex offender in the state of Michigan in addition to the charges against him in Tennessee.

Hall credits the wide net of information cast by family, friends and coworkers that led to information regarding Brown’s whereabouts. Because of the information gathered, Hall was able to contact Brown, which led to Brown’s cooperative surrender.

Hall spoke with Brown for most of the day Saturday and Sunday to agree upon a time and location to be picked up.

“He wanted to do the right thing, and with all cases, we treated him with respect,” said Hall.

Prior to Brown’s surrender, Crimestoppers was offering a cash reward up to $1,000 for information regarding his whereabouts. 

According to Hall, the witnesses handled the incidents appropriately.

“They remained calm and collected, avoided conflict with the suspect and alerted DPS. If there was a textbook way to handle this sort of situation, what the students did would have been it,” said Hall.