Women’s Educational Center Looks to Reach Students Through Sexual and Relationship Violence Survey

Sarah Satkowiak

The Women’s Educational Center is presenting a Sexual and Relationship Violence survey to all university students.

The survey is open until Friday, Feb. 19 and can take between 12 to 15 minutes to complete.

When the survey is over, the data will be used to identify groups and organizations on campus that have received training on sexual and relationship violence and which groups are aware of the resources on campus for violence survivors. This data will be used to provide better prevention methods to UM-Flint students and help identify which groups need to receive more training.

“We want to know what sexual and relationship violence experiences the students have,” Molly Barnard, program manager and sexual assault advocate at the WEC said. “Understanding the experiences students come to campus with will help us provide a safe, consensual and respectful culture on campus.”

The survey is intended to help the WEC gauge student experiences with sexual and relationship violence across campus and also to inform students of the resources available if they have trouble with this issue. The survey asks students if they know where to receive confidential support on campus. When the survey concludes, students are given the contact information of the WEC, UM-Flint Counseling, Accessibility, and Physiological Services, and an individual to contact to report sexual misconduct to on campus.

To encourage survey participation, students are entered to win a $100 prize upon completion of the survey. There are also six survey parties being conducted on campus from Tuesday, Feb. 9 to Thursday, Feb. 18. The survey parties are taking place in the University Center, White Building, and the Riverfront Banquet Center. There are laptops available at the parties for students to take the survey and candy bars are given as an incentive to participate.

This is the first time UM-Flint has conducted a Sexual and Relationship Violence Survey. The WEC has conducted similar surveys that ask about student experiences, but this is the first survey explicitly for sexual and relationship violence. There will most likely be a follow-up survey to find out if the WEC is providing a safe environment for students, but nothing is certain at this time, according to the WEC.

The survey the WEC is using was created by the Educational Advisory Board. The EAB is an organization that reports about many issues on campuses nationwide.

“The survey is not specific to our campus, but it is very comprehensive, and displays trigger warnings before the nitty-gritty questions,” Barnard said.

Currently the Ann Arbor campus has a similar survey available to students, and UM-Dearborn is looking to conduct a like survey.

The survey can be accessed through the WEC website at https://www.umflint.edu/wec/womens-educational-center. For students who have additional questions about the Sexual and Relationship Violence Survey, or the resources available to them on campus they are encourage to contact Molly Barnard, at [email protected]