Filed under Campus Life, Opinion

Tips for Staying Safe at College Parties

When attending college, some of the most anticipated events are the parties thrown by your peers. And with St. Patrick’s Day coming up, it is time to pull out your favorite green shirt and is another excuse to party. Both off-campus parties and those hosted by Greek life can be a great way to make new friends and memories, as well as let loose and have some fun.

However, it is important to stay safe and be aware of what is going on around you while there, and anywhere that alcohol might be available, for that matter. Here’s a list of some good ideas and tips to keep in mind at college parties:

Charge your phone

Before going out, make sure your phone’s battery is at 100 percent. This will ensure that you can access your GPS, be able to text your friends, and to call an Uber. Also, a charged phone will allow you to take the best selfies all night long. It might also be a good idea to share your location with your friends in case someone gets lost. A few helpful apps to consider downloading before the next big bash are Uber, Circle of Six, bSafe, and Companion.

Go in a group

There is safety in numbers. Not to mention, going in in a group will make any event more fun. It will also keep you safe in large crowds. Whether going with five or more people or with just one of your friends, it will make it harder for others to peer pressure you into doing something you definitely wouldn’t do sober. Make sure these are friends you can trust and who won’t ditch you. Good companions create a safety net and will also help you have a better time.

No means no

It’s ridiculous that this is something that still needs to be talked about. When an individual says “no,” whether to a drink, consent, or even talking, that is the final answer. Respect others and respect yourself. Make sure to surround yourself with a group of people who also understand this and will step in and have your back should a situation arise.

Eat food before hand

Drinking on an empty stomach is a bad idea. An empty stomach will allow your blood alcohol content level to rise quicker than you may expect. This could cause you pain and even pose the chance of blacking out. A full stomach will slow down how quickly you start feeling buzzed (unless you take too many shots to count). Eating starches, such as noodles or bread, is your best bet. Dinner before the party at Applebee’s? Count me in.

Don’t walk around by yourself

This is a big no-no, especially in a city like Flint. Even if you only live a few blocks away, stay with a group. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and familiarize yourself with where the emergency blue lights are on campus if attending a party nearby. Always let your friends know where you are, who you are with, and create a plan before the party starts.

Know how you are getting home

There are so many opportunities with today’s technology to find a ride. You can use Uber, Lyft, the campus’ shuttle, or simply call a friend. Never get in a car with someone who has been drinking and definitely don’t drive yourself if you have been, too. If you can get ready and plan all night before the party, you can plan for afterward, too.