Superhero 5k Race and 1k Fun Run Combats Child Abuse, Abandonment, Negligence

Courtesy of Flint Superhero Race

Courtesy of Flint Superhero Race

Patrick Hall, Writer

According to Childhelp.org, Every ten seconds a report of child abuse is made. Yearly, referrals to Child Protective Services involve 6.6 million children, and around 3.2 million of those children are subject to an investigated report.

For the fourth year, the Superhero 5k Race and 1k Fun Run are showing off the heroes we encounter everyday while donating proceeds to end child abuse, abandonment, and negligence. This event is co-hosted by ELGA Credit Union, Weiss Child Advocacy Center, Hurley Medical Center, McLaren Flint, and Genesee Health System on Saturday, April 14.

The 5K run will be a timed event with age-group awards, while the family-friendly 1K fun run will remain a non-competitive event. Each finisher will receive a medal and it is encouraged to dress as your favorite superhero. The event will start at the Flint Farmers’ Market and if you plan on entering the 5k, you have to be able to complete the course within an hour and fifteen minutes.

In previous years of doing this event, there has been over 250 participants, but this year there is an estimated one thousand participants. To bring awareness to child abuse awareness month, why not come out, run, and donate?

Public Relations Manager for ELGA Credit Union and co-chair for the race, Cheryl Sclater, appreciates the heroes we overlook everyday and feels that this event holds importance.

“Not only are we trying to prevent child abuse but we are also trying to promote the superheroes in our community, the law enforcement, ” said Sclater. “I love Chief Ray Hall from UM-Flint and the rest of the Flint officers because they are so important to the community and the people.”

The 5k run will begin at 9 a.m. and the 1k fun run will start at 10:30 a.m. For this event, you can find more information here.