Kick off your year with Club Sports

Photo Credit: T-Fizzle Photography

Photo Credit: T-Fizzle Photography

Photo Credit: T-Fizzle Photography

Jyothsna Ganesh

There are many club sport teams that call UM-Flint home, and we’ve rounded up some quick facts about their past seasons. Find the full list of club sports online on the UM-Flint website.

Men’s Hockey Club

The Men’s Hockey Club is entering its ninth season and is a member of the American Collegiate Hockey Association. Their biggest accomplishments were in the 2012-2013 season; they won the MLK Tournament in Chicago, won their conference (Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference-East) and advanced to the National Championship game where they lost to Adrian College 4-1.  

Last season, they went 18-11-1 and lost in the first round of regionals to Calvin College 5-4. This season the goal is to clinch a berth at nationals. Tryouts will be held Tuesday, Sept. 1 through Thursday, Sept. 3 at 9 p.m. at the Crystal Fieldhouse. The team’s season opener is Saturday, Sept. 26 in a home game against Delta College at 7:30 p.m.  

Men’s Lacrosse club  

One of UM-Flint’s most active clubs, the team went 3-3 and earned their second trip to the playoffs last year.

“To our new students, I’d say that this is your university and your college experience. Get involved with an organization or sport at school. Support events when groups host them. Bring your friends and make some new ones. Lastly, don’t be afraid to try new things,” said Paul Mattern, former president of the Men’s Lacrosse club.  Steven Learst will take over as president this year.  

Women’s Ice Hockey Club

Started in 2012, the team has been focused on growth, perfecting their skills and fundraising. They were recently accepted in the Central Collegiate Women’s Hockey Association

division. They have a series of fundraisers lined up for the coming season.  

Women’s Soccer Club  

The latest addition to the club sports, women’s soccer was started in June 2015. Representatives of the club said they are most excited about being able to play soccer at college level and enjoy the rush they get from playing. It took nearly six months to get the ball rolling on the organization of this club.

“Our team isn’t all about the winning. We are about going out there, playing the game that we love, having fun, and being around each other,” said Club President Mary Everett, a sophomore nursing major.

Stacey Urbani is the coordinator of student activities and leadership. She received her MA in recreation administration from Central Michigan University. She helps the club sports with strategic planning, setting objectives that they can reach. In her spare time, she said she loves to hang out with her family and be involved with her children.

“Engage in your community because it’s a place you are going to spend a lot of time in,” said Urbani.