Internship offers eye-opening experience

Photo Credit: Amir Baz

Photo Credit: Amir Baz

Photo Credit: Amir Baz

Amir Baz

I’m walking into my last semester at UM-Flint and I can actually say I have an idea of what I want to do.

I know all too well the struggle we all go through for years, trying to decide what we are going to be when we finally grow up. Well, for me that time is only three months away and real life is coming. I don’t expect it to stop and wait while I figure it out.

Luckily for me, I listened to my advisers and professors and went out to snag myself an internship. Now, this couldn’t just be any internship. It had to be a marketing internship, one that would go toward my degree. With a Fall graduation date looming, I had to make sure to fill all my requirements. It only made sense to continue to earn credits while working in the field I had been studying for the past four years and had become passionate about. Despite having that motivation in mind, selecting an internship wasn’t an easy decision. Due to the myriad of marketing internships out there, it was hard for me to figure out where I fit in.

Through my research and connections I’ve made while studying at UM-Flint, I found an opportunity in Memphis, Tenn. working for a company I truly care about. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has large business entities with opportunities for all. Due to some great advice from friends and colleagues I took my chances and applied for a digital marketing internship with the company ALSAC (American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities). ALSAC’s sole purpose is to fundraise for St. Jude. I took the chance and applied into a field where I knew very little.

I have to say, though, I couldn’t be happier. I got over the initial fear of a new experience quite quickly. This past summer has been one of the greatest experiences I’ve had while attending the university. I jumped into a field where I had no previous knowledge or experience and left Memphis this summer with a plan of what I want to do after graduation.

I realized after coming back home that if I didn’t take the opportunity to partake in an internship, I would be less certain about where to go after I graduate. I chose to go into marketing, a very broad field where I wasn’t really sure what I would be doing. The internship I took helped solidify
what I wanted to do.

There are a variety of internships out there and finding your place in it all is as easy as testing the workplace. What’s even better is that the sooner you are able to choose your path and direction; you may also have the option to gain credits toward graduating.

Don’t wait until the summer before you graduate. Take advantage of what our university offers now. Our Student Success Center, located at 285 UPAV, emails internship openings and resume workshops, as well as helping students prepare for and succeed at interviews. Take advantage of all these opportunities and use them to push yourself forward. Get an internship, work toward your future and have fun finding your place.