BSU Kicks off Semester with Good Vibes

Photo Credit: Alexis Harvey

Alexis Harvey

Black Student Union (BSU) celebrated their first year as a Sponsored Student Organization with the Good Vibes Day Party on Sept. 10.

The party didn’t disappoint; it featured good vibes, free food and music.  

The purpose of the party was to introduce Black Student Union as a Sponsored Student Organization to students, faculty and staff of the university. A SSO (Sponsored Student Organization) refers to campus organizations formerly known as a Major Student Organizations, or MSOs.  They receive funding from the university to carry out the activities and on-goings of their group. The members said they hope to reach more students than when they were a Voluntary Student Organization.

“Basically we wanted people to know that we are here on campus and our presence will be bigger and better than ever from now on,” said Jaslyn Morris, junior molecular biology major and president of BSU.

In addition to food and fun, partygoers received a copy of this semester’s Common Read book “Dead Man Walking” by Sister Helen Prejean. The Common Read program teamed up with BSU to provide the books free of charge to any student that wanted one. If students were lucky, they even walked away with the new BSU t-shirt reading “#BSUISHERE.”

The organizers of the party said they felt that the event was a great success. According to Morris, many students attended throughout the event and seemed genuinely interested in what BSU had to offer. She had many one-on-one encounters with students and she felt it was great to have those experiences with them.

The next step for BSU is to recruit students in order to expand their organization. On Sept. 21 there will be an informational meeting from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Alvin D. Loving Cultural Lounge on the second floor of the University Center. If students are interested in learning more about BSU they are found on Facebook under the title “Black Student Union at UM-Flint, ” Instagram @BSU_UMFLINT and by email at bsuflint.com.