UM-Flint Observes International Day of Peace

Jyothsna Ganesh

284

Students at UM-Flint observed the International Day of Peace by gathering together in McKinnon Plaza and walking through campus and downtown Flint with several international flags.

At least 50 international and domestic students stopped by the International Center to pick up national flags of different countries, and gathered at the McKinnon Plaza at 11:30 a.m. The students circled through campus and downtown Flint during the walk.

“I think the walk was great. It shows the community that UM-Flint is very diverse,” said Neelam Gire, International Admissions Associate.

This was the fifth annual peace walk using international flags. In earlier years, before the peace walk became a staple, students used to draw peace messages and post them around campus to celebrate this day.

According to the United Nations website, this year’s theme for the International Day of Peace was “Partnerships for Peace – Dignity for All,” which highlights the importance of all segments of society to work together to strive for peace.

“The peace walk grows every year. I was happy to see not just our international students attending, but also domestic students carrying flags. I think the message is getting out there that this is a celebration or an effort not just by internationals, but by all students on campus,” said Program Manager and International Student Advisor at the International Center Malin Clark.
While international students took pride in walking with their nation’s flag in a foreign country, they did not hesitate to wave another country’s flag.

“The peace walk was a beautiful celebration of the diversity of students and a testimony of unity on our campus,” said former President of Student Government Nakshidil Sadien.

The UM-Flint Department of Public Safety also played a big role in the peace walk; they ensured that the event went smoothly by escorting the group through downtown and even halted traffic where necessary.
As part of the World Peace Day celebrations, the Genesee County Committee for Community Peace and the Humanitarian Committee of Chinmaya Mission will be organizing an Annual Peace Day celebration on campus on Oct. 3. The program is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m. at Wilson Park and will continue into the Michigan Rooms for a keynote speech and giving away of the Peace Maker of the Year Award.