Two New Student Leadership Orgs Starting On Campus

Madeline Ciak

Toastmasters International and The National Society of Leadership and Success are two of UM-Flint’s newest student organizations and their focus is on helping students strengthen and develop skills that will help them stand out in class, on campus and in the work place.

The main idea of National Society of Leadership and Success is to help students build their leadership skills while participating in training on campus and online and to provide them with certification after they have finished the requirements set in place by the society. The requirements are attending orientation, leadership training events, speaker broadcasts and networking team meetings.

The program provides students with several opportunities including building their resume, access to an exclusive job bank and discounts on computers, insurance and books.

“Becoming a part of the organization teaches students more about accountability and helps them take action,” said UM-Flint National Society of Leadership and Success advisor Stacey Urbani.

Urbani also said that the organization is an opportunity for goal-oriented students to come together and push each other to achieve goals and that it helps students learn more about themselves because students have to evaluate their own leadership skills.

The next National Society of Leadership and Success meeting will be held Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. in room 109 of the Murchie Science Building. Urbani urges anyone who wants to get involved to contact her at (810) 762-6706.

Toastmasters International is another organization that provides students with an opportunity to strengthen their leadership skills by focusing on public speaking.

Toastmasters advisor Paul Artale compares the organization to a person working out at a gym.

“Toastmasters will help a person get buff in the sense of helping them become a better public speaker,” said Artale.

Artale said he believes public speaking is an essential life skill.

The next Toastmaster meeting will be held Wednesday, Oct. 21 in the Kiva from noon until 1 p.m.