Pajamas, Dinosaurs and Pizza: CAB to Host Movie Night

Don Lierman

PJ’s and dinosaurs, what more could you ask for?

The Campus Activities Board is set to screen two of the primo reptile flicks of all time, “Jurassic Park” and “Jurassic World” on March 11 from 6-10 p.m. at Clint’s Café. Drinks and pizza will be provided.

“‘The Dino Double Feature’ is actually a ‘pajama party’ where people can show up with their blankets, pillows and obviously pajamas,” John Hogue, a freshman studying communication and novelty and movie coordinator of CAB, said. In his position, Hogue is in charge of planning events that revolve around film or ‘novelty items’, such as flower sales or the upcoming Exam Pack event.

“The committee thought that with the buzz of ‘Jurassic Park’, it would be a good choice for the student body. I think they wanted to include the pajama party because it would make the most sense if they’re going to stay for both,” Hogue said.

Another CAB event coming down the line this semester is Mega Vegas Night on March 24 from 7-11 p.m. in Michigan Rooms B-D. Mega Vegas Night is a larger version of the casino night from fall semester, said Travis Brimmer, head of the U-M Flint Campus Activities Board interactive gaming position.

“There will be a roaming magician throughout the event. We will have poker, black jack, craps, roulette, and slots. At the end multiple great prizes will be raffled off,” Brimmer said.

A BackYard Fair will be sponsored by CAB on April 14 from 12-4 p.m. on the First Street Lawn. The event will include a four-man joust arena, giant Jenga, giant Connect 4, giant chess/checkers, human foosbal among other events.

Also, on April 18 at 11 a.m., at the above mentioned Clint’s Café, CAB will be hosting Exam Pack day. Basic exam study packs including such items as notecards, pens and pencils will be handed out. According to Hogue, scantrons and blue books might be included, and if they are not, a supplementary sheet explaining where to find them for free on campus will be included.

This is the second year CAB has hosted Exam Pack and Hogue said he believes it was a success previously.

“The event will last as long as we have packs available,” Hogue said. “In the past, students have really liked this event because they get free study materials.”

CAB is also looking to use the event as a marketing tool, Hogue said, with the study materials planned to be packed in CAB backpacks.

CAB hosted a total of 10 events last semester, with nine planned for this semester (including the ones which already occurred). According to Hogue, that’s a slight increase from the years prior.

“In the future we’re planning on doing slightly fewer so we can focus on those and add a little more to them,” Hogue said. “Overall, Campus Activities Board’s responsibility is to host fun events for students to allow them to relax and enjoy their college career while learning. Without our events and other students’ organizations, college life will be a lot more dull.”