Student Alumni Basketball Game by Donald Lierman

Don Lierman

Who’s up for some hoops?

The 1st Annual Student vs. Alumni Basketball Game is slated for March 31 6 p.m. at the U-M Flint Recreation Center. The event is sponsored by the First Street Block Club and the U-M Flint Office of Alumni Relations.  Admission is free to the community, students and faculty.

“(We are) pleased to partner with First Street Block Club to bring the inaugural Student vs. Alumni Basketball Game to campus,” Mary Jo Sekelsky, executive director of University of Michigan-Flint Alumni Relations said.  “UM-Flint alumni are eager to engage with current students, so we jumped at the opportunity to be a part of this event.  I am a huge fan of basketball, so linking the event to March Madness was a bonus.”

The first twenty to sign up, for both the faculty and alumni squads, will be selected.  A plaque will be unveiled at the Recreation Center on which the team winner’s name will be etched after this inaugural contest.  Subsequent winners will be added in future years.

“The Student vs. Alumni Basketball game has been an event that the First Street Block Club has always wanted to do,” Courtney Thomas, senior studying pre-med biology and executive director of the First Street Block Club said.  “One of the Block Club’s missions is to foster positive relationships with both the campus and surrounding community.”

Thomas said one of the reasons the Block Club decided to host this event was to help foster traditions on campus.

“We made it our mission to develop an event that will bring students, alumni, faculty/staff, and the surrounding community together for a night of fun…we anticipate this event to be one that will continue for years to come,” Thomas said.

A live DJ will be on hand to provide entertainment.  At half time the university cheerleaders will perform and there will also be a free throw contest.  The winner will receive two tickets for the fall 2016 homecoming football game in Ann Arbor.  There will be giveaways throughout the game including t-shirts and water bottles.

“As of right now, we are in need of packing the recreations center out and getting participants to play,” Thomas said.  “We have already made a purchase of 300 rental chairs for the event.”

Alumni Relations also has two Career Panels coming up this semester, on March 10 and April 6 at noon, to meet UM-Flint alumni.  Light refreshments will be served.

For further information regarding the game, contact Courtney Thomas at [email protected]. If you are interested in playing, you may register at  http://umflint.edu/alumni-student-game.