WEC Presents Play On Women’s Issues To Honor Women’s History Month

Don Lierman

The  Women’s Educational Center is presenting the trademarked “That Takes Ovaries” by Rivka Solomon and Bobbi Ausubel on Thursday, March 10 in the Kiva at 6 p.m.

Admission will be free. Afterward an open mic session will be offered for audience members to participate. The play is offered as a part of Women’s History Month.

“I chose to put of this play because activist theatre is an important part of getting students involved on campus,” Molly Barnard, the WEC program manager said. “The community is filled with strong, courageous women. I think that, particularly during Women’s History Month, it’s a good time to celebrate them.”

The play presents true stories of bravery by women. Three of the stories are based on the experiences of women from the local community. The open mic is an avenue where women and men can share tales of the strength and struggle of women. The play is based upon the book That Takes Ovaries: Bold Females and their Brazen Acts by Rivka Solomon.

“The play is fun, sassy, serious, and moving,” Barnard said. “When reading through the script or at rehearsals, I often get the chills because these women’s stories are so incredible. The play and book have started an international grassroots movement for women’s empowerment. Our hope is that the audience will not only enjoy seeing the show, but will leave feeling more empowered and also promote the empowerment of women, especially in our community.”

According to Barnard, participants in the presentation have also found the experience rewarding.

“When I was told about That Take Ovaries, I felt that it was something I could truly connect with. The stories from the original production as well as the community submissions were beautiful and struck me with such strength that I wanted to be in the show. I felt a connection with this show as a whole and I am so grateful to have been able to be a part of it,” Sara Follo said. “I’ve been participating in activist theatre since the beginning of my undergraduate work. By working with the student resource centers about issues that have shaped myself, I have found strength and I hope to inspire others in the same way.”

Another contributor, Artemis Mora, said she also found the involvement satisfying.

“I’ve always been drawn to theatre about social issues,” Mora said. “I believe that as live medium, theatre has the power to educate and inform unlike any other medium. ‘That Takes Ovaries’ in particular has a very personal, raw, and intimate feeling. It has a unique voice which speaks to the triumphs of the individuals whose stories are being told. And I think that’s very empowering for anybody.”

For further information on the book or play visit www.thattakesovaries.org. To learn more about the event, contact the University of Michigan – Flint Women’s Educational Center at 810-237-6648.