Veteran’s Day Celebration to Honor Military Personnel

In honor of Veteran’s Day, the Student Veteran’s Resource Center (SVRC) at UM-Flint will hold its annual Veteran’s Day celebration.

The event will take place on Friday, Nov. 10 from 10-11:30 a.m. in the University Center.

The purpose the Veteran’s Day celebration is to honor all inactive or active-duty student and faculty military personnel.

Those who have, or currently, serve will be honored through the presentation of a ceremonial slide show, chorale selections, and a keynote speaker, as well as an outdoor portion that will honor fallen military personnel who gave their lives in service of the country.

Geoffrey Roberts, program manager of the SVRC, explains that the event will serve not simply just to honor and commend our military personnel, but also to, “put our money where our mouth is…and support veteran’s in more concrete ways.”

Something important to note, according Roberts, is that, “sacrifices made [by military veterans] since 9/11 have been huge.”

All students, faculty, and staff who serve or have served in the military are welcome to be a part of the celebration. To do so, they may reach out to the center via email or in person. The center is located on the first floor of the University Pavilion.

The event is also open to the campus community, extending beyond those who are being honored, as the focus of the event is to show support to veterans and active military personnel.

Kenyatta DeEtt, a veteran of the Navy and student, states, “honoring veterans is important because there are so many men and women who’ve sacrificed so many things to serve in the armed forces to protect our country. The citizens of America should remember that somebody [is] always prepared and trained to protect and serve while you’re sleeping, traveling the country, on a picnic with family or simply watching television. There’s a sacrifice always being made; A soldier or sailor is sacrificing time away from their family to try to ensure that your time with your family can be safe.”