UM-Flint Senior Associate Librarian Vanessa Prygoski Passes, Leaves Impact on Students, Colleagues

University of Michigan-Flint

University of Michigan-Flint

Colin Roedel

UM-Flint Senior Associate Librarian Vanessa Prygoski (also known as Vanessa Emma Goldman and Vanni) has passed away. Hired in 2000 by the university, she worked in the library for 18 years, leaving an impact on students and colleagues alike.

She had a passion for Women’s and Gender Studies, and was a strong advocate for equal rights for marginalized individuals. She often spoke on the topic of gender identity, and was expected to present at the Michigan Academic Library Association Conference in May with a presentation titled “Queering the Academic Library.”

Colleagues of Prygoski said she loved 60’s music, especially the Grateful Dead, and sports.

“One thing everyone knew about Vanni was her love of sports, especially the Packers,” shared Becky Waller, an administrative specialist at the library. “Her career as a librarian fit well with her character. Vanessa was a good, kind-hearted person who wanted to help people. She loved the University of Michigan and was proud to be a Wolverine.”

Offering a friendly smile and helping hand, Prygoski always supported UM-Flint students.

“Though Vanni had an entirely different style than I did, students felt very comfortable with her; they were drawn to her,” said Laura Friesen, instruction and reference librarian. “She found common ground with a lot of students regarding sports.”

A memorial for her was held today on the first floor of the library.