Looking for Holiday Cheer on Skates? Visit UM-Flint’s Ice Rink Opening Celebration

UM-Flint News

Winter is here and that means it’s time to bundle up and break out your ice skates. The third annual ice rink opening celebration is back again for another season. The event will take place outside the University Pavilion on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The celebration is open to everyone including faculty, staff, students and their families. There will be activities around the rink for people of all ages to enjoy.

“We’ll have selfies with Santa, a photo booth type area for people to take photos, cookie decorating and hot cocoa. We also have a boom box inside and a Pandora account playing outside on the rink,” said Program Assistant Faith Bodie. “…There will also be a geo-filter on Snapchat for people to use while they are there.”

Partnered with Crystal Fieldhouse Skate Academy, members of the academy will be on the rink to assist skaters if they’re feeling nervous to get out on the ice. The skate rentals on this day will be free, but after the event, they will cost $3. However, admission is always free.

Along with the many activities taking place, there will be a table associated with the Collegetown Challenge to drop off non-perishable food items, which in return can get you free swag. The food items will be donated to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan for families in need this holiday season.

After the opening celebration, the rink will be open to the public until March 3, 2019. Open skate will take place Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Fridays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., as well as Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m.

Visit the UM-Flint Facebook page to register for the event. Come out and show off your moves on the ice!