Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

Need Help with a Paper and More? Check Out the Writing Center

Photos by Santiago Ochoa

Photos by Santiago Ochoa

Photos by Santiago Ochoa

Having trouble dotting those I’s and twisting your thoughts into an order that will reflect your attentive intentions? If so, check out UM-Flint’s Marian E. Wright Writing Center–here to help with all of your writing needs.

The Writing Center offers instruction that will help mold you into, if not a wordsmith, a better scribbler. Services are provided for community members as well as those associated with the university.

Diane Willey, who is pursuing an M.A. in public administration with a criminal justice concentration, feels the assistance provided by the staff has been very beneficial toward the achievement of her goals.

“I have been using the tutors and with their help my writing has improved and my confidence is up,” said Willey. “The Writing Center is not just a place I go to get help but a place where I spend all of my time working on my homework. It is not unusual for me to be in the same spot for extended periods for up to three or six hours at a time. I have been known to make two appointments in one day, as well. The staff is not just the staff, they are my team, my friends and my family.”

The Writing Center focuses on helping to make individuals better writers. The staff provides help for essays of all subjects. Any stage of the process can be addressed: from the initial idea and creation to the end product. Idea development, revision and fine tuning are all issues the staff can help develop, including MLA or APA formats and other writing styles.

Tutors also can provide help with scholarships, cover letters, resumes and more.

“We work with all students, faculty and staff on their writing and presentations,” said Jacob Blumner, director of the Writing Center and an English professor on campus. “Our staff have worked with students from all five units on campus and I believe every department. The center provides assistance to students of all levels, from those who are just entering the university as well as to helping doctoral students on their dissertations.”

The center provides more services than just those typically associated with academia. There is also guidance for individuals that yearn to become the next Charles Dickens or Stephen King.

“Our personnel can aid writers with their creative projects. The Center offers a writers’ group and hosts National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) meetings. We also do workshops on scholarship and graduate school applications, personal statements, resumes and cover letters. There’s a lot more,” said Blumner.

Speaking services are also available for not only students, faculty, and staff but community members in preparation for various speaking events. Appointments are recommended for this and the other services, including tutoring, which can be made on their website or via phone at 810-766-6602.