Filed under Showcase, Sports

UM-Flint Hockey Travels to Georgia, Preps for Last Home Game

The UM-Flint hockey club enters the fray with a record of 4-8-2. They have just returned from a road trip to Georgia where they tied one and dropped two.

On November 30, the team tied with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 2-2. After the Ramblin’ Wrecks took the lead, 1-0, on a goal with two seconds left in the second period, UM-Flint stormed back in the third with goals by Matt Daniels at 2:37 and Kamryn Houle at 9:08.

Unfortunately, the Wolverines’ hope for a victory was wrecked by a late Georgia Tech goal with 33 seconds left in regulation time. Connor Houle, UM-Flint senior graphic design major and team member, felt their effort was strong.

“I was proud of how we played this weekend,” said Houle. “We competed in all three games against some really tough competition. It wasn’t easy after a 14-hour bus ride but we rallied together to put our best effort into each game.”

The next day, UM-Flint traveled to Liberty University where they dropped a 6-4 decision. The Flames singed the Wolverines with four goals in the first fifteen and a half minutes of the first period. The Wolverines would battle back with goals by Kamryn Houle, Connor Houle, Matt Daniels and Andrew Carreras, but the initial deficit was too great.

“Playing three games in three days was a tall task,” said Adam Bryant, UM-Flint goalie. “This gave us a good preview of what playing in the playoffs will be like.”

The club completed their road trip at the University of Georgia on Sunday, Dec. 2. The Wolverines scored first during the game at 1:36 of the first period on a goal by Nicholas Kozoro. After the Bulldogs tied the game, UM-Flint bounced back with two tallies by Connor Houle and Andrew Carreras.

However, the University of Georgia, perhaps overcoming the emotional hangover from their football team choking to Alabama the night before, took charge as they scored the next seven goals. UM-Flint battled back with two of their own by Brian Knack and Connor Phillips, but the Bulldogs’ bite was too deep and the Wolverines left the ice with an 8-5 loss.

Coach Kirk Allen was impressed by the team’s performance.

“This weekend was a great measuring stick for us,” said Allen. “We knew we were in for tough games as all three opponents are ranked in the top 10 of the South region.”

For the final home game of the fall semester on Friday, Dec. 7 at 8 p.m., free tickets are available to students in the Student Involvement and Leadership Office located in the UCEN while supplies last. UM-Flint Hockey will be taking on Saginaw Valley State University at Crystal Fieldhouse Ice Arena in Burton.

Tickets may be obtained any day through Friday, Dec. 7 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students may grab up to two and must present their Mcard. If you are a campus resident, contact your RA for a free charter bus to the game. The giveaway is sponsored by the Office of the Dean of Students.

Ticket prices for those who do not receive free passes are $5 general admission. For fans 6 to 12 years of age, seniors 62 years and up, and students and faculty the price is $3. Admission is free for children five and under.

The evening is labeled Student Appreciation Night, so why not return the favor with your attendance and show some support for our Wolverines?