UM-Flint Dominates the Ice Against Northwood, CMU

Don Lierman

Don Lierman

Don Lierman

Donald Lierman, Writer

The Wolverines proved insatiable Friday night as they feasted upon the Timberwolves of Northwood University, beating their opponents, 12-2.

From the get-go UM-Flint dominated the ice. Opening the scoring seven minutes into the first period, Jared Coulter fired a shot by the goalie. Andrew Carreras notched an assist. A little over two minutes later it was Carreras who gave the Wolverines a two-goal lead with assists by Brock Reynolds and Gavin Williams.  

The clock ticked only 17 strokes before Coulter grabbed his second goal. Northwood made it 3-1 at 15 minutes to end the period.

The Wolverines put the game beyond reach in the second period with six goals. Just 24 seconds in Brandon Pirtle started the rout with a goal, Trevor Cope and Stefano Schippono assisting. At 2:52 Kamryn Houle flashed the red light. Brian Knack grabbed the assist.

Three minutes into the period, Northwood’s goalie was forced to leave the ice on a stretcher after a collision outside the crease.

Steven Behm joined the ice five minutes on with a score and an assist by Cooper Dove. Near the three-quarters mark, Trevor Cope upped the score, 7-2, Behm and Nicholas Kozoro assisting.

“The shot was from the point while we were on the power play,” said Cope, a junior mechanical engineering major from White Lake. “The score came off a one-draw. The pass caught me inside the blue line and I fired it home.”

After Northwood scored for a second time, Cope responded in less than a minute.

“We were rolling up the ice with a three on two,” said Cope. “The high guy passed it back and I beat the goalie on his low blocker side.”

It took only two minutes to up the score, 9-2, on a Behm goal. Coulter tallied the assist.

The pucks flying by the Timberwolves’ goalie in the third period. Schippono scored five minutes into the stanza (Coulter and Behm assisting). Only 90 seconds further in and it was Justin Zeiter’s turn with Coulter and Connor Houle assisting.

Northwood gave up one last goal as Behm scored at 17:19, Coulter grabbing another assist. The win was part of a three-game sweep last week as the Wolverines continued to roll after the mid-year break.  

On Thursday, UM-Flint defeated a strong Central Michigan University team as they downed the Chippewas, 5-2, in weather so inclement that the CMU players drove from Mt. Pleasant in their personal vehicles to get to the game.  

Sunday, the Wolverines beat Northwood for a second time by the score of 8-5. Friday’s player of the game, Ryan Van Slyke, pointed to the addition of three new players as a key factor in the team’s turnaround.

“The new guys have just been tearing it up,” said Van Slyke, a junior mechanical engineering major from Holly. “The three, Trevor Cope, Jared Coulter and Steven Behm, have made a big difference. [However, I] give Northwood credit–they were playing short-benched. Their starting goalie sustained a concussion playing the U-M Ann Arbor squad.”

Head Coach Mike Schunot points to the contributions Van Slyke has made as well to the Wolverines.

“He’s the glue that bonds this team together,” said Schunot. “…the players love him. They would walk a million miles for the guy.”

The victories raised the Wolverine’s record to 9-11-3. They return to action on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 8 p.m. against Hope College.

The game will be held at Crystal Fieldhouse in Burton. Ticket prices are $5 for general admission. For fans 6 to 12 years of age, seniors 62 years and up, and students and faculty the price is $3. Admission is free for children five and under.

“The team has improved its chemistry,” said Schunot. “We are much deeper with the additions.  There is still hope we can make the playoffs.

“We’ve got 20 guys believing in the program. I believe we can get in if we take it one game at a time.”