Prospective Softball Club Seeking Players

Courtesy of USA Softball

Courtesy of USA Softball

Courtesy of USA Softball

If you yearn to enhance your experience as a student-athlete, it’s a great time to attend UM-Flint. Not only has this academic year seen the inception of men’s and women’s basketball clubs (plus a potential baseball association), there also is the possibility of a softball organization.

If interested, two orientation meetings are being held in the Superior Room (room 266) of the UCEN Building. The first will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 5 p.m. and the second on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 1 p.m. Interested participants only need to attend one. 

These meetings serve to attract players as there needs to be enough to field a team. Details covered will include the formation of the club and what is needed to officially start the organization. 

“When I came to this school I was upset to hear they didn’t have a team,” said Megan Oda, vice president of the prospective club. “I wasn’t ready to give up playing softball. The game has always been a part of my life. The pursuit has allowed me to get away from everything and be able to play the sport I love with my friends.

“I am very excited about the upcoming season. There are going to be some obstacles along the way as we find our ground, but it will all be worth it in the end.”

The club sports program is offered under the aegis of the Department of Recreational Services. Its goal is to create an avenue by which students can have positive university experiences. Their web page stresses the rewards of such competition in the creation of leadership qualities and the ability to work as a group.

And don’t forget learning from the old Grantland Rice adage that “it’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game.” Sportsmanship skills can make life a more fulfilling journey.

Once one has participated in their favorite sport at a competitive level, it is difficult to just pack the passion for a game away when the organized avenues have closed. Mikayla Oryszczak, president of the club, looks forward to hopefully playing softball in a club setting.

“I’ve always had a passion for softball and want to continue playing in women’s leagues, even after I graduate college,” said Oryszczak, who is majoring in biology. “It has always been my favorite sport. Softball has been a way for my family to connect, with my dad coaching me and my sister’s travel team since I was 12. We always put in extra time going to the batting cages, throwing in the backyard and hitting in our basement.”

For further information, contact Oryszczak at [email protected] or 810-875-6748.