Chancellor Advisory Town Hall Scheduled for Next Week

Chancellor Susan E. Borrego has served as UM-Flint’s Chancellor for four years. However, this July will mark the end of her term.

In order to replace such an integral position on campus, a Chancellor Search Advisory Committee comprised of administrators, students and community members has been created in order to seek out a successor that will effectively carry out the duties of the current chancellor.

University of Michigan President Mark Schlissel is co-chairing this year’s 17 member committee with UM-Flint’s dean of the School of Education and Human Services, as well as professor of English Robert Barnett.

In an interview with the University Record, Barnett said, “The committee is looking for meaningful input on the ideal type of person to lead UM-Flint into the future. That feedback will be used to develop a well-defined candidate profile to assist the committee and search firm in identifying and recruiting the very best candidates possible for the position.”

Members of the committee include:

• Bishr Al-Dabagh, alumnus, UM-Flint.
  • Matthew Bueby, chair of the Staff Council, and alumni relations and annual giving specialist, UM-Flint.
  • Constance Creech, professor of nursing and director of graduate nursing affairs in the School of Nursing, UM-Flint.
  • Catherine A. Davy, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs, and professor of English, women’s studies and gender studies in the College of Arts, Sciences and Letters, UM-Dearborn.
  • Eucharia Ganda, president of Student Government, and student in the College of Arts and Sciences, UM-Flint.
  • Gerald Glasco, director of financial services and budget, UM-Flint.
  • Gloria Hage, associate general counsel, Ann Arbor campus.
  • Phil Hagerman, chief executive officer, Flint-based Skypoint Ventures.
  • Kristi Hottenstein, vice chancellor for enrollment management, UM-Flint.
  • Yener Kandogan, associate dean and professor of international business in the School of Management, UM-Flint.
  • Derwin Munroe, lecturer IV in political science in the College of Arts and Sciences, UM-Flint.
  • Emily Newberry, chair of the Faculty Council and senior associate librarian, UM-Flint.
  • Shelby Newport, chair of the Department of Theatre and Dance and associate professor of theatre in the College of Arts and Sciences, UM-Flint.
  • Shan Parker, director of Public Health and Health Sciences and associate professor of health education in the College of Health Sciences, UM-Flint.
  • Jessica Tischler, associate professor of organic chemistry in the College of Arts and Sciences, UM-Flint.

A chancellor search committee town hall is scheduled for community members and university goers to ask questions, provide input and discuss what criteria the next chancellor should meet.

The meeting is Tuesday, Feb. 26, from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in the UCEN Kiva.

Outside of these town hall forums, the committee will be meeting with specific groups in the UM-Flint community for additional feedback.