Qua to Host Launch Party, Hire New Staff

To paraphrase the great Funkadelic, is it time to free those synapses so your artistic ass will follow? If so, be on the lookout for the new edition of the Qua Literary and Fine Arts Magazine to pop up around campus later this month.

The publication will be hosting a launch of its new issue at The Ferris Wheel building, located at 615 South Saginaw St. in downtown Flint, on March 23 from 6 to 8 p.m. Editors and contributors will be providing readings as well as discussion. There will also be light refreshments. The event is open to the public.

Qua is a vital creative outlet for our students in all majors,” said Jacob S. Blumner, UM-Flint professor of English and director of the Marian E. Wright Writing Center. “It’s also an important opportunity for students to learn how publication works.

Qua editors and reviewers get a behind-the-scenes experience of what it takes to manage and put a publication together. The journal fits into the larger university goal of providing students with different extracurricular opportunities that expand their experiences, knowledge and skills.”

If being a part of the Qua managerial and creative decision-making process is appealing, take note that the staff will be hiring individuals at all levels for the next school year.

“We are currently looking to hire a completely new staff–editor-in-chief, prose editor, poetry editor, assistant poetry editor, assistant prose editor and a designer,” said James O’Dea, current editor-in-chief. “Our organization will be conducting interviews in a few weeks, but for now, interested parties can apply by emailing me ([email protected]) with a letter of interest and a resume. Anyone interested in literature, creative writing or the business of publishing would be wise to apply.”

For further information on the launch, application to the staff positions or the submission process, visit their Facebook page or https://blogs.umflint.edu/qua/.