MCC to Host Job Fair Highlighting Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals

Campus Career Coach

Campus Career Coach

Campus Career Coach

Bella Biafore, Writer

Mott Community College (MCC) will be partnering with SignIFICANT, a job development service for those who are Deaf, to host its first ever job fair centered around the Deaf and hard of hearing.

Sponsored by two employment agencies,–Qualified Staffing and Michigan Works! Southeast Livingston–the fair will be held at MCC’s Livingston campus, located at 1240 Packard Dr. in Howell, on Thursday, Mar. 21. The fair will have ASL interpreters, vendors and an on-site workshop available.

This workshop includes a resume review with a specialist for individuals needing some help on their resume before handing copies of it out.

The fair will feature 15 employers, including the U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Postal Service and a plethora of manufacturing and assembly-focused companies. This gives job seekers an opportunity to network, get employment support and meet other Deaf and hard of hearing community members.

Todd Morrison, owner of SignIFICANT, feels Deaf individuals may be facing bias in the workplace because of the difference in communication skills. He hopes this job fair will encourage other events to make accommodations for individuals a part of this community.

“The whole point of our service is that we are aware not all Deaf individuals are the same. Not all of them will need the same service,” said Morrison. “We also wanted to show that to employers…our services will make it feel like they are on the same playing field. That way everyone has a fair opportunity to pursue their dreams and employment.”

The job fair will take place from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. and is open to everyone, not just limited to Deaf or hard of hearing individuals.

The event coordinators are still open to accepting vendors–if you are interested, contact Amy Tait as soon as possible.