Student Government Presidential Candidates Vie for Votes

The University of Michigan-Flint 2019 winter semester is quickly coming to a close, and with it comes the annual Student Government presidential election. This year, two candidates are campaigning for the spot.

Finishing out his first year as Student Government’s director of foreign outreach, Nickxit Bhardwaj is running on a three-point platform consisting of student life, inclusivity and accountability.

“I think there are a lot of student organizations and departments who do a lot at UM-Flint, it just doesn’t get noticed enough by the 6,000 students approximately that we have on campus,” said Bhardwaj.

Currently a junior at the university, he plans to increase the collaboration between organizations and departments in order to make an impact on campus.

As an international student, Bhardwaj understands the troubles students face when trying to find their place on campus.

“While I was working as director of student relations, I have heard concerns from students that they don’t feel that they are represented well or they don’t feel like there is a place of belonging,” said Bhardwaj. “I think I’d really like to address that through advocacy and talking to the university to provide more resources.”

Running alongside Bhardwaj as his vice presidential candidate is Queen Odira, a freshman and current Student Government senator.

“One of the most impressive things to me was when Queen was trying to run for Student Government, she was not already a senator, but was a volunteer for Student Government,” said Bhardwaj. “If you have that much passion towards an organization, who tries to do so much for students, that passion reflects her values.”

Bhardwaj and Odira were running unopposed for most of their campaign until recently when Sophomore Nathan Scott joined the election cycle.

Scott, a business administration-finance major, is running on the platform of transparency and collaboration.
While he’s not a previous member of Student Government, Scott has held leadership positions in both his church and as an Eagle Scout.

“I planned activities, I did secretarial work such as the attendance and I went and budgeted some of the activities,” said Scott.

Scott wants to further incentivize student organizations that work with each other to stimulate collaboration, while also still funding the groups that are more solitary in nature.

In terms of transparency, Scott wants future Student Government meetings to be more accessible to those on campus.

“They have student government meetings video recorded, but a lot of people don’t have the time to actually watch the whole thing,” said Scott. “So, I figured if there could be a monthly summary of all of the proposals passed then I think that would really help.”

Running as Scott’s vice presidential candidate is Caleb Carter, who is entering his second year as a senator for Student Government.

“I chose Caleb because he has more experience than a majority of other student government leaders that are existing right now,” said Scott. “I feel like he can bring more to the table because he has more experience of what Student Government actually can and cannot do.

“If we can go and rise up and express our opinions and voice our concerns, I feel like we can really make our campus a better place in the community.”

To cast your ballot for the 2019-2020 Student Government election, visit the Student Government Election Ballot page on Mgagement.

Voting ends at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 27.