MSB Expansion Underway: Current Parking, Traffic Changes

Bella Biafore, Writer

Construction has begun for the Murchie Science Building (MSB) expansion. New changes include turning the Harding Mott University Center (UCEN) loop into a fire safe, accessible cul-de-sac, which will add over 66,000 square footage to the area. There will also be some science-based upgrades, featuring new equipment and a design studio.

During this time, traffic will be impacted near the UCEN.

There will be slight re-routing for vehicles and pedestrians to gain access to the Recreation Center and UCEN while construction is underway. MSB will remain open and all entrances except the north loop and loading dock will be accessible.

Signs have been put in place in order to guide anyone who needs help getting around the impacted areas. However, pedestrian re-routing is likely to change as the work advances and continued updates will be sent to students on campus.

The sidewalks around the UCEN loop are now only accessible on the right side, near the Recreation Center. The left side is blocked off entirely due to construction fencing.

For individuals needing accessible parking, the UCEN loop’s spaces are completely unavailable. There will be additional accessible parking at Mill Street Deck to compensate for the loss at the UCEN. If you have any questions or need assistance locating the spaces, contact Facilities and Operations.

In a campus wide email, Project Manager of Facilities and Operations Daniel Sherman said, “We are excited to share this news with the campus community and look forward to seeing work progress. The team will continue to keep the campus community informed as the project progresses.”

Learn more about what the MSB expansion entails.