First Game of the Season on Saturday, May 4 for Flint City Bucks

Detroit FC

Detroit FC

Detroit FC

Donald Lierman, Writer

The Flint City Bucks unleash their version of “the beautiful game” as the club hosts Detroit City FC at Kettering University’s Atwood Stadium on Saturday, May 4.

The Bucks’ soccer club may be new to the Flint area, but it has been bouncing around Michigan since the mid-1990s. The team began in Saginaw, moved to Detroit and now roosts, if a buck may roost, in Genesee County. According to www.uslleaguetwo.com, the Bucks finished 6-4-2 in their division.

“The team was created to give the top college-age players a path to achieve their dream to play professional soccer in the US or abroad,” said Buck’s CEO and Chairman Dan Duggan.

“The Bucks are a collection of professionals and college All-Americans that come together for three months from May-July in a professional development environment designed to prepare them for life after college soccer in the pros. The Bucks have had over 200 former players sign professional contracts around the world in the past 23 years.”

The Bucks bring a prestigious history to the area. Their 249 club wins is the most in Premier Development League (PDL) history. The club is a member of the USL League 2, which has amateur status but might be viewed as a minor league baseball club; as a stepping stone toward participation at the professional or international level, yet in a manner that allows the players to keep their eligibility for college play.  

Other teams in the Bucks’ Great Lake Division include Chicago FC United, Cincinnati Dutch Lions, Dayton Dutch Lions and West Virginia Alliance FC.

“Flint is a great sports city that deserves a championship caliber team and the Bucks are looking to bring their record-setting 11th national championship to Flint this summer,” said Duggan. “The Bucks experience is a fan-friendly, high caliber sporting event that is fantastic entertainment value for people of all ages.”

The Bucks play home and away matches with each team in their division. Division winners and a wild card from the conference battle out in the conference playoffs. The goal is to continue to the national championship. In last year’s final, the Calgary Foothills FC defeated the Reading United AC, 4-2.

Tickets are available at Flint Prints, located in the Ferris Wheel Building lobby on Saginaw Street. They are also available online through Ticketmaster. However, UM-Flint students can get some for free while supplies last from the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership, located within the University Center’s Loft on the third floor.

Prices for individual games start at $15 for reserved seating, $10 for general admission and $5 for youth aged 12 and under. If a child is two or under, they can attend free of charge. Seats on game day at Atwood Stadium are available two hours before kickoff.

Season tickets are also currently on sale. For further information, visit www.flintcitybucks.com. The Bucks may also be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The stadium is located at 701 University Ave. in Flint.

“Flint residents should embrace the team this summer because it is the highest level of soccer in the area,” said Duggan. “It is a great place for the young players in Flint to get close to the game and the players.”