Celebrate Indian Culture and Tradition on Diwali Night

Courtesy of UM-Flint ISA

Courtesy of UM-Flint ISA

Courtesy of UM-Flint ISA

Cole Wharton, Writer

The UM-Flint Indian Student Association is hosting its annual Diwali Night celebration on campus.

Taking place in the Northbank Center, the event will feature live performances, Indian cuisine, a dance floor and even a speech given by Chancellor Dutta.

“Diwali Night is the only recurring, annual celebration of Diwali on campus,” said Ahana Vinyak, president of the ISA. “Last year, there was a Diwali celebration by the community members in Riverfront Banquet, but that’s about it. Ours is a one-of-a-kind event that brings people together every year.”

To those who celebrate it, Diwali honors ancient Indian gods and their triumphs. While the festival represents something different to each religion that participates, they all share the similar arching themes of celebration, the triumph of good over evil and the bounty of the gods. 

“Diwali celebrations seemed to have originated when the hero (of the Hindu Epic Ramayana) Ram, returned to his kingdom from 14 years of exile after having defeated the demon king Ravana,” Vinyak said in an email.

Over the course of five days, one billion people all over the world celebrate Diwali with each day representing different ancient stories and traditions. While the Diwali celebration at UM-Flint won’t last this long, it will be packed with activities including live music and dance performances.

Diwali Night is one of the university’s most popular events with attendance normally reaching 150. If you want to take part in the festivities, make sure to RSVP as soon as possible.

“We highly encourage people who have never been acquainted with Indian culture and traditions to join us in our celebration to get a taste of what it’s like,” Vinyak said. “Diwali Nights offers you India on a platter. It is a celebration of our music, dances, food, attire and rich culture.” 

To RSVP, you can either scan the QR code on the Diwali advertisements on campus, or visit the ISA’s Facebook page. 

Diwali Night will be on Nov. 15 from 6 – 9:30 p.m. in the Northbank Center.