Volunteer Opportunities Available This MLK Day

Getty Images

Ryan Lanxton, Writer

In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., UM-Flint will be offering several volunteer opportunities on Monday, Jan. 20 across the Flint community and campus.

Sponsored by the Intercultural Center, the Black Student Union and the Thompson Center for Learning and Teaching, the university has partnered with a variety of organizations in the community for students, staff and faculty to volunteer their time to those in need. 

One of these opportunities include working with Habitat for Humanity to build a pop-up shop and work on several building projects across Flint. Another is with the North End Soup Kitchen where volunteers will help sort and pack donations.

In total, there are 11 volunteer events that students and staff can participate in.

If not volunteering, individuals can still participate in the Breakfast and Program event held in the Michigan Rooms in the UCEN. Attendees will be able to enjoy breakfast and have the opportunity to speak with Diane Goodman, an expert in teaching and training about issues of diversity across the country for over 30 years. 

However, attendees will have to register in order to participate. Registration opens at 8 a.m. and the event will last from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m.

To cap the day off, there will be a blood drive held in the UCEN Happenings Room from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Much like the sacrifices and contributions the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave, we also can make a difference in the Flint community by volunteering this MLK Day.