CAB’s Winter Events are Blending the New and Familiar

Photo by Ryan Lanxton

For questions, visit the CAB office located at 369 UCEN

Ryan Lanxton, Writer

UM-Flint’s Campus Activities Board has several events planned throughout the semester that are aimed to bring students and staff together in a fun and engaging environment. 

While some of these events are brand new, others are old favorites. 

Started last semester, CAB’s “hump day” events will be returning, with five more scheduled between Jan. 29 and April 15, all on Wednesdays. These smaller events are aimed to attract students who are often on the go and unable to attend these longer-lasting events. 

“We rolled them out last semester and few of them got over 200 people,” said CAB president Neil Kagerer. “We’re just trying to do something that’s memorable, that’s engaging, but it’s something you don’t have to sit there for a while.” 

On Thursday, Mar. 19, Mega Vegas night will also be returning, this time in the Happenings Room on the first floor of the UCEN, lasting from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Participants can test their luck and gambling skills to compete for as many chips as possible. The more chips a student wins, the more tickets they can earn toward being selected for prizes at the end of the night.

“We’ll try to do something different with that like maybe add a theme or … doing students acts,” said Katie Smith, secretary of CAB. “Typically we try to get an act after we have the casino games, but doing acts throughout the event or at the end … will give them [performers] the chance to showcase what they like to do as well.”

On Wednesday, Feb. 12, CAB is bringing back their Stuff-A-Plush event where attendees will be able to choose their own plushie and stuff it, Build-A-Bear style. The event will be on the third floor of the UCEN at 1 p.m. and will go until supplies last.

However, by also bringing in new ideas and activities, CAB hopes to expand their outreach. 

That’s why CAB’s rolling out something new–their last main event of the semester will be a “mystery event” on April 1. While they do not have any one activity planned for it yet, Smith assures it will be something everyone at CAB will be passionate about and students will enjoy.

Updates to any of these events will be posted on CAB’s Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter accounts (@cabumflint). If interested in joining or helping in any way, you can also contact CAB through email at [email protected].