Join Chemistry Club in Making Your Own Lava Lamp

Photo Courtesy of Flickr|Dean Hohchman

Realtively mess-free, this activity is open to any UM-Flint student.

Bella Biafore, Writer

Why buy an item when you can learn to make it yourself? Join UM-Flint’s Chemistry Club in learning how to make your very own lava lamp. 

Happening on Friday, Feb. 28 in Clint’s Cafe (third floor UCEN), the event will be open from 2 to 4 p.m. 

Chris DeEulis, the Associate Director of SIL department, reached out to me and asked if Chem Club would like to be involved in their (SIL’s) project to bring activity back to that space,” said Chemistry Club President Lynnette Harris. “This was the idea he approached me with, and I answered enthusiastically that we’d like to help.”

Using materials like alka seltzer, oil, food coloring and water, the project is hassle-free and makes little to no mess so students can dress however they want. 

“This demo poses no significant risk, so students feel free to come as you are! We will have gloves as an option and paper towel to clean up any messes,” said Harris.

While there is space for all to attend, students can reserve a spot online or just show up between the posted hours to join in on the fun. 

“There’s room for everyone…  Students are encouraged to stop by whenever they want. We have enough materials for everyone,” said Harris. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this activity, reach out to Lynnette Harris.