Recap of Student Government’s General Assembly for Wednesday, Jan. 29

Photo by Ryan Lanxton

Student Government Continues to Operate through BlueJeans

Ryan Lanxton, Writer

This week’s Student Government meeting saw a major change and several important reminders announced from various members.

President Nickxit Bhardwaj started the meeting by announcing his intention to create a proposal allowing for a student to sit on the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee For Budget & Strategic Planning, saying he wants to make sure a student’s voice also has input on one of the biggest decisions a university goes through.

Bhardwaj also announced two upcoming student-interest open meetings. The first comes as a result of mixed reactions to Chancellor Dutta’s last town hall, where students complained not enough time was allowed to ask questions or answer them. The date and time for the next town hall are yet to be announced.

The other meeting announced is the Food and Living Forum which will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 26 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. in Michigan Rooms A and B. At this forum, students and faculty will be able to voice any concerns to representatives from Picasso and administration from Housing and Residential Life. 

Next, Director of Foreign Outreach Samantha Uptmor announced she has been working closely with student government representatives from other universities across the state, including Grand Valley State University and Saginaw Valley State University, to ratify and implement the Student Coalition for Higher Education Funding (SCHEF). She also added that Grand Valley State University and Western Michigan University have yet to ratify the proposal.

Logan Jorrey, director of web and technology, also announced that the DUO authenticator is now live for all students, faculty and staff campus-wide. He also added that if anyone has problems with the new system, they can email him at [email protected]

Toward the end of the meeting, Senator Caleb Carter gave his report on the status of the Wolverine Food Den, the public food pantry on campus. Carter is looking into finding a larger space for the pantry, citing that student use of the pantry has been rising consistently.

Carter also added he would like to see each club on campus send volunteers to help with tasks such as unloading donations and stocking the pantry itself.

Newly-appointed senators, Levi Todd and Jordan McNaughton, have yet to announce a caucus but are in the process of familiarizing themselves with possible initiatives. 

Finally, it was announced the new Student Government constitution was passed by students last Monday. The document was then ratified unanimously by the senators, replacing the old constitution.

Director of Student Organizations and Partnership Board Kamryn Hoadley was absent from the meeting, along with Senators Angela Wang and Donald Weismiller.