Recap of Student Government’s General Assembly for Wednesday, Feb. 5

President+Nickxit+Bhardwaj+swore+in+Marcus+Williams+as+director+of+student+affairs.+

President Nickxit Bhardwaj swore in Marcus Williams as director of student affairs.

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan Lanxton, Writer

This week’s Student Government meeting saw the addition of one new member to the executive board.

Marcus Williams, a senior at UM-Flint, was sworn in as director of student affairs after a lengthy search to fill the position. “I’m most excited about actually making an impact on this campus with student’s concerns,” said Williams. “I want to make sure that I’m making students happy and more excited to be on this campus.”

Tess Barker, the interim director of the Center for Gender and Sexuality, was invited to speak in front of Student Government. She proposed the renewal of a partnership between Student Government and CGS, where both organizations would match funds for CGS peer educators to make presentations for various student organizations.

These presentations would center around various subjects within gender and sexuality, such as inclusion and acceptance.

There will be a limit of five different organizations able to sign up for these presentations due to constraints on the number of peer educators and their time, but Barker would like to see the participating groups take at least two presentations.

President Nickxit Bhardwaj wanted to remind students of the Food and Living Forum which will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 26 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. in Michigan Rooms A and B. 

Director of Financial Affairs Mustafa Salim later announced the approval of two new funding appropriations from the university’s Funding Board. $1,260 was approved for the Financial Management Association and $1,770 for the Judo Club.

During Williams’ turn to announce his updates, he expressed his desire to reach out to as many students as possible to get as much feedback as Student Government can get so as to better suit the needs of campus-goers. 

Following Williams, Director of Foreign Outreach Samantha Uptmor announced a new survey will be sent out within the coming days concerning student interest in student legal services coming to campus. She also stated the SCHEF constitution and by-laws have been finalized and sent out to other participating campuses around the state for ratification. 

Finishing the night, Senator Jordan McNaughton said he is going to reach out to Planned Parenthood representatives in Genesee County to gauge their interest in helping with the health screening event being hosted at UM-Flint. The event does not have a set date yet, but will take place in the first week of April.