Recap of Student Government’s General Assembly for Wednesday, April 1

Santiago Ochoa

Student Government Continues to hold meetings over BlueJeans.

Ryan Lanxton, Writer

The weekly Student Government meeting was once again held online over the BlueJeans app. A recording of the meeting will be made available on SG’s YouTube channel later this week.

This week’s meeting consisted mostly of charter proposals and reviews for members of the government to review. 

Director of Legal Affairs Carl Grolle presented an outline of the new Student Organization Recognition Board charter. The charter outlines the rights and responsibilities of the board, as well as defining how it will operate in terms of the board’s makeup and voting process.

The board’s goal is to help with the recognition of new student organizations on campus, allowing Student Government to allocate funds for the new groups. The charter will be voted on next week.

Director of Web and Technology Logan Jorrey announced the deadline for students to apply for director positions on Student Government has been extended. For anyone interested in applying, visit the UM-Flint Student Government website for more details. 

Student Government advisor Julie Snyder, PhD, said the online open forum hosted by her and Shelby Newport, the associate provost and dean of undergraduate studies, went well. Students were able to voice any concerns they had regarding the university’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak, as well as ask questions regarding other topics. 

Towards the end of the meeting, Senate Bill 2020-008 was presented by Vice President Queen Odira and Senator Donald Weismiller. The bill is asking for $2,500 to send the newly elected Student Government members to the National Campus Leadership Council’s annual meeting in Washington D.C. later this year. 

If the meeting is cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns, the money will be refunded back to the Student Government account. Members are expected to vote on the bill next week.

Director of Financial Affairs Mustafa Salim gave a short run-down on the new Funding Board charter. Changes made helped to streamline the document, such as editing out unnecessary language and redundancies, and no major structural changes were made. Student Government will vote on the new charter next week.

To end the meeting, many members gave their congratulations to the newly elected president, Samantha Uptmor, who is currently the director of foreign outreach, and the new vice president, Grolle. Senators Angela Wang and Weismiller were also reelected to their positions as senators.