UM-Flint Opens ‘Healing Heroes Home’ to Medical Professionals Fighting COVID-19

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The Healing Heroes Home has been operational for a few weeks now, how are UM-Flint staff staying safe?

Bella Biafore, Writer

UM-Flint’s First Street Residence Hall, temporarily named the Healing Heroes Home, is open to medical professionals in the area seeking a home away from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

With many professionals unable to be with their families after work, the Healing Heroes Home provides individuals a safe and convenient place to rest for only $20 a night. 

The home will be exclusively available to healthcare workers as needed and until capacity is reached (120 guests). The cost will cover room maintenance and most spaces offer a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen space. 

Those staying in the residence hall will have access to on-campus parking with no additional charge and free wifi during their stay. 

Students previously living in First Street Residence Hall have been relocated to Riverfront Residence Hall for their safety and well-being. 

In addition to the safety of students, the custodial staff responsible for cleaning the residence hall will also be taken care of. 

“The Office of Environment, Health, and Safety is working with Facilities and Custodial staff to ensure that UM-Flint staff have proper PPE items to protect them while they work, and other precautions are also being taken to ensure that employees are safe on the job,” said Julie Snyder, PhD, associate vice chancellor and dean of students. 

For doctors and nurses in Genesee County interested in staying in the Healing Heroes Home, there is a sign up sheet located on the bottom of the UM-Flint website labeled “Make your reservation.” 

On behalf of a grateful University of Michigan-Flint community, THANK YOU for your continued service and sacrifice to the citizens of Genesee County. We proudly honor and serve you!” said Christopher Giordano, vice chancellor for student affairs. 

If you’d like to make a donation toward keeping the Healing Heroes Home up and running, you can visit the it’s homepage.