Alternative Break Programs Cancelled Due to COVID-19

Santiago Ochoa

Alternative Breaks have been canceled due to the COVID-19 Outbreak

Gracie Warda, Writer

In accordance with UM-Flint’s policies regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, several Alternative Break events have been cancelled or suspended until further notice, including Alternative Summer Break, the spring MIBreak and Service Saturdays. 

“We are following the guideline form President Schlissel and Chancellor Dutta,” said Gary Ashley, advisor of the Alternative Break programs. “These are really hard decisions, but they make sense in order to keep people safe and healthy.” 

These Alternative Breaks allow students to volunteer during their time off from school across the state of Michigan. Ranging from one to five days, these events allow flexibility for anyone interested in participating. 

It is not known when Service Saturdays will resume. As of right now, Ashley and other program management are following guidelines from Chancellor Debasish Dutta and President Mark Schlissel. 

Before the university shut its doors, students were able to participate in a successful Alternative Spring Break. 

“This was a really hard decision and of course it’s frustrating to have to cancel these trips,” said Ashley. “They are dear to my heart as I have built them from the ground up. These programs give students wonderful experiences and memories of a lifetime. However, like I said, we all need to do our part to keep students, staff and faculty safe.” 

For updates as they become available, see the UM-Flint web page for COVID-19 resources.