Recap of Student Government’s General Assembly for Wednesday, September 9

Lauren Hackett, Managing Editor

On Wednesday, September 9, Student Government hosted its second General Assembly Meeting of Fall 2020. During this meeting, the outcome of Monday’s Celebrating Essential Workers event was discussed and updates were provided. 

President Samantha Uptmor kicked off the Zoom meeting with an update on the status of reports she submitted to the Board of Regents on behalf of UM-Flint. These reports, which include plans to increase political awareness and voter registration among UM-Flint students, can be found on the Student Government webpage

Uptmor also spoke of her collaboration with Staff Council Chair Gary Ashley to establish monthly meeting times between Staff Council, Faculty Council, and Student Government. Uptmor said she hopes these monthly meetings “strengthen the relationship and lines of communication between the three bodies.” 

Vice President Carl Grolle discussed his work with Senator Angela Wang to locate caucus approval forms and reporting outlines, which will soon be implemented for both current and incoming senators. 

Grolle also met with Director of Media Relations Harley Brown to advertise open Senate positions on SG’s social media pages. He encouraged all interested students to apply. The application form can be found on the Student Government webpage. 

Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Omar Elnour talked of his role in the Celebrating Essential Workers event that took place on Monday, September 7 at the Flint Latinx Center. In addition to running the COVID-19 station at that event, Elnour reached out to hospitals, local businesses, and mosques in order to promote it. 

Elnour also met with members of UM-Flint’s Block Club to begin organizing a Flint-based Black Lives Matter protest. 

All Student Government members expressed their satisfaction with the Celebrating Essential Workers event, which consisted of student volunteers giving out free meals to essential workers. According to Director of Foreign Outreach Levi Todd, who helmed this event, it resulted in the provision of over 350 lunches and the servicing of over 200 cars. Stations for voter registration and census registration were also featured. 

Todd thanked every Student Government member and student volunteer who played a part in this community outreach effort. “It was a beautiful sight to see,” said Todd, “So many students from different organizations, different clubs, different ethnicities, different religions, coming together, working together, to serve the community of Flint.” 

The final update of the day was provided by Associate Vice Chancellor, Dean of Students, and SG advisor Dr. Julie Snyder, who mentioned the upcoming Virtual Town Hall that will be hosted by Chancellor Dutta. This meeting will discuss the university’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Action Plan, and will take place on Wednesday, September 23 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. A Zoom link will be sent out in the coming weeks. 

Snyder also shared a video on Blackboard entitled “Student COVID-19 Information,” where she goes over specific protocols that students visiting campus should follow in order to protect themselves and others from COVID-19. 

SG General Assembly Meetings take place every Wednesday, and are open to all interested. A link to the weekly Zoom meeting appears on the SG webpage, or meetings can be accessed directly by clicking here