Recap of Student Government General Assembly on Wednesday, Nov. 10th

Santiago Ochoa

The William S. White Building at night.

Josie Anderson, Managing Editor

Wednesday’s Student Government General Assembly Meeting took place in MSB expansion room 396.

Soon after the meeting began, guest speaker Interim Dean Yener Kandogan from UM-Flint’s School of Management announced that the school will soon have a new dean. Student Government senator Jacquindre Brown also proposed S.B. 2021-004, the Residential Consideration bill. 

Kandogan also highlighted the School of Management’s efforts to improve students’ positions in the job market post-graduation. Curricular updates have been made to include current topics courses, such as artificial intelligence and business analytics, and stackable credits. The curriculum will be continually updating, Kandogan said, to keep up with in-demand skills.

The stated goal of these efforts is that School of Management students will be able to graduate with in-demand skills that will make them more desirable to employers and give them an edge in the fast-paced market. 

To further assist students, four business majors were moved online last year in addition to being offered in person. This provides students with greater flexibility in their courses, allowing them to complete classes in a way that fits their schedules without needing to come to campus.

Kandogan also announced a Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Business Administration joint program through the school, which would allow students to transition from a bachelor’s degree to a master’s more easily.

Kandogan described many other accommodations the School of Management offers to students, from workshops to free Rosetta Stone subscriptions, as well as making programs available as minors to non-business students.

Kandogan also announced that the school hired an academic advisor for graduate students. The school has a total of five academic advisors now, covering a variety of majors, including two pre-business advisors.

“We are a professional school and we are producing professionals,” Kandogan said. “The most important thing is that we have a good start to a career with the necessary knowledge that will get you there.”

Following Kandogan’s presentation, Student Government president Levi Todd announced that he and Student Government vice president Amena Shukairy had interviewed new prospective government and legal affairs applicants earlier in the week.

Shukairy also thanked Student Government’s Senator Lina Azeim, Chief of Staff Achala Bunyan and Director of Student Relations Jack Griswold for Tuesday’s State of the Student Address. 

As a result of popular demand at the Address, Griswold announced that he had drafted a bill for a ping pong table in the Reading Room.

Dean of Students Julie Snyder made a reminder that Winter registration opens Monday, Nov. 15. “Students are encouraged to check their accounts,” Snyder said, “to make sure they don’t have any registration holds.” This information can be accessed via Student Information Services.

Vice Chair of the Student Government Senate Kelly Parrott spoke about communications regarding an upcoming conference and her Jan. caucus. Parrott also encouraged any veterans in the audience or those with veteran family members to reach out ([email protected]) for a list of resources. 

Parrott, a veteran herself, encouraged the audience to check in with those who served or are serving this Veterans Day. “If you have a veteran in your life, please check on them. Veterans Day is a hard day for a lot of us,” she said. “The veteran suicide rate is twenty-two a day … just check on them.”

Student Government senator Jacquindre Brown presented S.B. 2021-004, the Residential Consideration bill. 

Sponsored by Brown and Student Government director of student organizations and partnerships Timothy Brooks, the bill will be voted on next week. If passed, it would provide funding for up to fifteen $25 Visa gift cards, a maximum of $390. 

The gift cards would be used as prizes for students who complete an upcoming housing survey. All funding not used will be returned. Once available, students will be able to take the survey online and fifteen will be selected at random to receive a gift card. 

After the bill was proposed, Student Government president Levi Todd administered the Student Government oath of office administered to now-senator Trenton Patterson-Proulx. 

Following a question from the audience, Student Government director of financial affairs Shbeib Dabaja said that Student Government is sponsoring the Indian Student Association’s upcoming Diwali Night on Nov. 19. Snyder followed up by saying that other upcoming campus events can be found here

Snyder also provided a food service update highlighting changes made since the Oct. 6 Dining Open Forum. Since the forum, Picasso has hired a full-time chef, the soup and salad bar has been reopened and the $5 food menu may return. Student Government senator Lina Azeim will be sending out a survey collecting thoughts, ideas and options on fresh food options.

Student Government meets every Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. All are welcome to attend in person or online via Zoom.