Booster Shots will be Required for all UofM Students in the Winter 2022 Semester

Photo by Sara Alouh

Photo by Sara Alouh

Sara Alouh, Writer

With concern over the growing Omicron variant cases in Michigan, the University of Michigan is adding more safety measures for the Winter 2022 semester. 

All University of Michigan faculty, staff and students will be required to get the COVID-19 booster shots. This measure will be put into effect on Feb. 4, 2022. It is recommended that members of the UofM community receive their boosters as soon as they are eligible. More details will be available in January on how to self-report booster status. 

“The set of preventive measures I’m announcing today are steps we’re taking in advance to prepare to have a safe and successful winter term on our campus,” said President Mark Schlissel in a press release on December 17. 

“We’ll also continue to track case numbers, severity of illness and Omicron during the break. If conditions worsen significantly and Omicron data changes, we’ll be ready to make further changes.”

These updates to safety measures come after an Ann Arbor student living off campus was detected with a positive case of the Omicron variant. 

“U-M is working in coordination with the Washtenaw County Health Department on case investigation and additional preventive measures for those who may have been exposed,” said Schlissel. 

In addition to the booster shot requirement, UM-Flint students living in First Street will be required to test for COVID-19 upon their return to campus. More information will be sent to residential students by Housing & Residential Life. 

The Reopening Committee encourages all UM-Flint faculty, staff, and students to get tested upon returning to campus regardless of their vaccination status. Testing will be available at the Recreation Center on Jan. 4th and 5th and individuals must pre-register for testing. 

Over the winter break students are also encouraged to keep themselves and their communities safe by “avoiding indoor gatherings with large groups, masking up, isolating if symptoms develop, and getting a booster” according to the press release.

We appreciate everyone’s diligence and compassion for one another as we seek to keep everyone healthy,” stated an email sent on behalf of the UM-Flint Reopening Committee. 

Updates will be posted to the UM-Flint COVID-19 Campus Information website.