Student Government semester recap, final General Assembly Meeting

Santiago Ochoa

The William S. White Building at night.

Josie Anderson, Managing Editor

Student Government met on Wednesday, Dec. 8th, for their last general assembly meeting of the semester. 

When the Fall 2021 Semester, Student Government had eight of thirteen senate seats open. This term, all open positions were filled by first-term senators. Student Government also received a new Director of Government and Legal Affairs with Syed Salahuddin Kamal’s appointment to the role on Nov. 17th. 

This semester, Student Government started a new UM-Flint tradition, bringing the first of many Wolverine Homecoming events to the community. Two Senate Bills, 2021-001 and 2021-002, were passed to help fund the events. 

S.B. 2021-003, the State of the Student Bill, helped to fund the 2021 Annual State of the Student Address. At the forum, students voiced concerns and shared their thoughts on campus happenings with Student Government members and university faculty.  

To help boost student morale during finals week, S.B. 2021-006, the Finals Week Gift Cards Bill, was adopted during Student Government’s Dec. 1st meeting. Sponsored by Senator Haytham Alqasmi and Director of Student Organizations and Partnerships Timothy Brooks, the bill provided funding for fifty $10 Visa gift cards to be given out as prizes.

In his Dec. 8th general assembly meeting report, Student Government president Levi Todd announced that he met with the university architect to discuss upcoming student government renovations as well as plans to interview prospective applicants for the role of Associate Director of the Student Success Center.

During their final general assembly meeting of the year, Student Government staff passed three Senate Bills, 2021-004, 2021-005 and 2021-008. 

S.B. 2021-004, Residential Consideration Bill, was amended and proposed by Senator Jacquindre Brown before being passed by the senate. The bill would have provided funding for fifteen $25 Visa gift cards to be used as prizes for students who complete a UM-Flint housing survey, but was amended to fund twenty-five $15 gift cards instead. 

Senate Bills 2021-005 and 2021-008 were also passed. 

A result of feedback from November’s Student Address, S.B. 2021-005, presented by Senator Lina Azeim and sponsored by Director of Student Relations Jack Griswold, will provide funding for a ping pong table in the UM-Flint Clinton Cafe. 

The Food Survey Incentivization Act, S.B. 2021-008, sponsored by Senator Azeim and Director Brooks, will provide $2,100 in funding for the purchase of 200 Amazon gift cards to be distributed as rewards for students completing a UM-Flint food survey. 

Senator Brown removed S.B. 2021-007, the Residential Helping Hand Act, from consideration. Sponsored by Director Kamal and proposed by Senator Brown on Student Government’s Dec. 1st meeting, the bill would have offered $1,000 each in financial support to up to five students needing to live on campus over winter break if passed. 

“While I still believe that the initiative is good, the bill itself would not solve the overall issue,” Brown said. Initially proposed on Dec. 1st, the bill raised questions regarding cost, need, and time constraints. 

“It has been one long semester full of trials and triumphs,” Todd said. “I am just so excited for the future and … proud of the student body for their resiliency this year … We have proven that even in the midst of crisis we can still stand and we can stand tall.”