On-campus dining gets an upgrade

Kaitlyn Bergman, Writer

Every member of the University of Michigan-Flint community has to eat! 

For those of us on campus, Picasso located on the third floor of the University Center is the main dining location. For those with a meal plan, including all freshmen living on campus, dining dollars must be spent at either Picasso and Clint’s Café. Those who frequently visited in the fall are sure to notice the recent improvements. 

There are new dietary inclusive options available like the vegan raspberry lemon bars and additional vegan options at Mona Pizza. Mona Pizza also offers students the choice between ordering a whole pizza or a simple slice. 

The dietary needs in our community have been taken into consideration and provided for not only during dining hours but also during UM-Flint’s alternative dining options, such as those offered during breaks and on holidays. 

One recent reintegration has been Panda Brother’s station which offers Asian cuisine with different options of dishes each day. This station was closed in the fall but has now made a return. Students still have access to Jerry’s Grill, Picasso Deli, and a variety of snacks, cereals, chips, chocolates, and grab-and-go food options such as soups, produce, proteins and desserts. 

Picasso offers a chance for members of our community to get lunch or dinner while studying or living on campus. For those dining on campus, options are offered over Monday through Thursday and over academic breaks during the semester. Students in the fall struggled with a lack of inclusive options that took dietary restrictions into consideration. Now, those students have more options available to them, and products have dietary information on their packaging. 

In further efforts to make campus feel like home, a recent Valentine’s Day celebration featured three meal options that came with a side salad, bun, dessert and choice of drink. Ordering offered an option to bring your food to go or dine in with themed tablecloths and festive centerpieces. Ally Miron, Housing and Dining Services Program Manager, was present at this dinner. She noted how it was important to “support the community, especially students” by having a special meal and a chance to celebrate. 

Online ordering is now available as well, as is Clint’s Café. Whether those who visit chose to eat in the University Center or take their meal to-go, there are more options offered for all to eat at UM-Flint.