Welcome Events

Photo Credit: Media Submitted

Madeline Ciak

Welcome Week at UM-Flint has evolved into a month full of fun and exciting activities for students to participate in to help them get acclimated with the campus and student organizations.

“September is a crucial month on campus. Students will be getting their first real look into what student life is like here,” said Student Involvement and Leadership program director Paul Artale.

Artale also believes that the month-long welcome event will help students have a better sense of community on campus.

“The welcome events help set the welcoming tone and to introduce students to the worthwhile opportunities that our campus has to offer,” said Artale.

The extended welcome period will not only benefit students, but will also benefit voluntary and school sponsored organizations on campus. The activities are more spaced out so that students won’t feel overwhelmed and so that sponsored student organizations and voluntary student organizations can have a chance to recruit students.

Instead of holding the street fair that has traditionally served as a student’s chance to explore various organizations and clubs on the same day of the welcome picnic, the event known as the MGagement Fair will be held Wednesday, Sept. 16 from noon until 4 p.m. on the North Lawn, and Welcome Picnic will be held on Thursday, Sept. 10, and will feature both lunch and dinner, as well as games, music and free t-shirts. Lunch will be served from noon until 2:30 p.m. and dinner will be served from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. In the past, the Fall Welcome Picnic was located on the front lawn of First Street Residence Hall, but has been moved to McKinnon Plaza because of its more convenient location.

“Not only is this location closer to the kitchen, but it will be easier to replenish food since it won’t have to be carted across campus,” said Artale.

In addition to the evolution of Welcome Week, additional activities, such as the Wiffleball game, which is sponsored by Student Government, will be included in this year’s festivities. The Wiffelball game will take place Saturday, Sept. 12 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on the front lawn of the First Street Residence Hall.